- This event has passed.
Box Hill – Listening to Landscape Walkshop with Ria Soemardjo
November 26 @ 12:00 pm - 2:00 pmFree
Join Dan Koop and Ria Soemardjo for an introduction to the ~FLOWING LOOPS~ journey and an exploration of sounds that come from the clay and water landscapes of the area. Together the group will do a sonic tour of the Box Hill Gardens led by Ria, a musician and craftsperson who uses clay to make instruments and creates music from landscape.
Ria has been walking with Dan Koop along the line of the Suburban Rail Loop from Burwood to Box Hill, listening to landscape, mapping community relationships and making embroidered maps along the way.
Led by Dan Koop, ~FLOWING LOOPS~ is a temporary public art program that has taken inspiration from the flows, loops and lines of the Suburban Rail Loop. When built, the new rail line will alter the flows of people through our urban landscape but we’ve investigated the types of flow that already exist in the region, such as flows of water, exchanges of knowledge and the relationships between human, animal and plant species of the unique catchments of the Mordialloc Creek and KooyongKoot (Gardiners Creek).
We acknowledge Country, land and waterways of the Boon Wurrung and Wurundjeri people of the Kulin Nation and pay our respects to the ongoing custodianship of elders, past, present and future.
More information is below or please see our website at www.flowingloops.com
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Please Dress for the Weather:
It may be wet or cold, or dry and hot, and we will be doing some gentle walking so please come prepared for the outdoors. We’ll retreat to undercover seating areas if the weather gets too much!
This is an outdoor experience that will engage multiple senses. This is an outdoor event that will engage multiple senses. When booking please advise us of your access requirements and we can discuss your needs.
As we move around Glen Waverley the group will stay on paved surfaces. We anticipate traversing about 2km over the course of the walkshop.
Travel to Box Hill Gardens:
- By Public Transport – Trains run regularly on the Belgrave & Lilydale lines (Google Maps) and 109 Trams stop at the Box Hill Interchange (Google Maps)
- By Car – Parking is available on the streets surrounding the Box Hill Gardens area (Google Maps)
~FLOWING LOOPS~ is supported by:
- Suburban Rail Loop – This artistic program has been supported by the Suburban Rail Loop East’s Community Projects Fund. Please see more about the Community Projects Fund here: www.suburbanrailloop.vic.gov.au/communityfund
- Deakin University – Dan Koop is a PhD researcher at Deakin University, exploring the possibilities of Temporary Public Art in urban environments. Please see more about Dan Koop’s research here:
- With more community groups welcome to support and engage with the program! If you’re connected to a local community group that loves nature or works to enhance your local outdoor spaces, please get in touch here: firstname.lastname@example.org